CHANGE your lifestyle, change your life. This is a prescription for all bone-tired people at work who have a nagging feeling that somewhere out there is “the good life” where family and work are perfectly balanced. How much of each element should be poured into the flask of life to produce a wonderful elixir of the good life? The right mix produces a balanced life; the wrong mix, burnout.
With life being so unpredictable, chances are many are already in a slow burn and do not know it. How can you know if you are already burning out?
Here is a Burn Out Quiz from Dr. Tony Alessandra, author of the Online Platinum Rule Behavioral Assessment as taken from his free email newsletter, “Dr. T’s Timely Tips.”
Give yourself the following points as you take the quiz: 10 points if you strongly agree with the statement; 7 points, agree; 3 points, disagree; and 0 points, strongly disagree.
1. I always seem to feel fatigued throughout the day.
2. I find myself talking less and less in business and social meetings.
3. My memory seems to be deteriorating I’m forgetting more and more.
4. Even after a good night’s sleep, I still feel tired.
5. I find it very difficult to really relax-my mind always seems to be in full gear thinking about work.
6. At the end of each day, I feel that I’m further behind than when I started the day.
7. I seem to be more irritable and cranky lately. I am not as patient with others. I have a short fuse and blow up easily.
8. I am spending less and less time on physical activities and hobbies or with my family and friends.
9. I seldom seem to be pleased with what I’ve already accomplished. I feel that I should be accomplishing more.
10. I either operate at full speed ahead or at dead asleep no middle ground.
Then, score yourself as follows: 0-15 points – You either don’t do anything or you’ve really got your act together; 16-50 points – You’re doing well. At this level, you’re highly unlikely to suffer from burnout; 51-80 points – You’re on thin ice and just about ready to fall in. You’d better change your lifestyle quickly because burnout is knocking down your door;
86-100 points – I’m glad I don’t work for you or with you. You are a walking time bomb. If you do not make immediate adjustments in your behavior you may be burned out by the time you finish reading this article.
For those who scored 50 points and more, a lifestyle change is in the offing. And this doesn’t mean just taking a few hours off every day. It means looking at your priorities in life and allotting your time accordingly. Remember, somewhere out there is “the good life” waiting for you.
Author: Regina Galang Reyes. First published in the Philippine Daily Inquirer April 17, 2005.
Photo credit: www.freerangestock.com